Thursday, May 21, 2009

My Signature Sundae

Amanda and I always get a good laugh out of people who claim to have a "signature dish." Especially when said signature dish is something simple and, quite frankly, ordinary... ie, a recent favorite quote "7-layer bean dip is my signature dish." Either that individual is at every party and potluck I've ever been to, or 7-layer dip is everyone's signature dish.

In the spirit of making fun of myself, I recently created an ice cream sundae that was basic and simple but so damned good I deemed it my 'signature sundae.' To follow Evan's Thai Steak Salad birthday dinner, I made a tropical sundae full of absolute awesomeness. "Happy Birthday Evan, I'm going to eat all of the dessert I made you!" It was that good. I licked my bowl and his bowl clean.


The sundae was simple, quick, and easy. I piled the bowl high with vanilla ice cream, mango petals (I used an ice cream scoop on the mango, creating petal-like slices), Amanda's Coconut Dulce de Leche, chopped macadamia nuts, flaked coconut, and... the big finish... lime zest! So easy, so quick, so effing delicious. I wish i was eating it right this moment. Who knew my 'signature dish' would be an every-day ice cream sundae!? Maybe I'll start making 7-layer bean dips...

Amanda's Coconut Dulce de Leche

Whisk together in heavy large skillet over medium heat :
1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
3/4ths cup brown sugar
1/4th teaspoon salt

Heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high and boil until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally, (about 10-15 minutes).
SHARE:
© Loves Food, Loves to Eat. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig