Thursday, July 8, 2010

If Ya Can’t Stand the Heat…

…Stay outta the kitchen!


It’s hot, hot, hot here in Seattle, but trust me, I’m not complaining! After a cold, dreary, drizzly, cloudy June-uary, I’ll take the heat, even if it is record breakingly scorching! I love it, a lot. Not only can I finally put away my winter sweaters (in July) and pull out my ever-growing skirt and dress collection, but I also love lazy summer dinners. No one in Seattle has AC, so standing in front of a hot stove on a hot day is nearly impossible. This means lots of no-cook picnic style dinners, with components like baguettes, brie, and fresh sliced, salted tomatoes…and lots of grilling.


And, since I absolutely love grilling any and everything, I was stoked to see grilled fruit in foil packets in a recent Food & Wine magazine. My fruit-packet combo includes berries mixed with lemon, thyme, sugar, and honey. The berries plump up and get juicy, warm, and sweet on the grill. I spooned the bubbly warm mixture over vanilla ice cream, but it would also be amazing over grilled pound cake slices, or even grilled fish.

For a fully grilled meal, start with Grilled Caesar Salad!

Lemon & Thyme Grilled Berries
6 ounces fresh blackberries- rinsed
6 ounces fresh raspberries- rinsed
juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme, lightly chopped
1/2 tablespoon honey
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon butter
pinch of sea salt

Combine everything except butter in a bowl, and mix lightly. Stack 2 layers of aluminum foil, and top with butter pat. Fold up sides slightly. Pour fruit mixture into foil, and bring edges up, folding closed. Grill over medium flame for about 10 minutes. Spoon over ice cream, grilled pound cake slices, fish, or chicken. Or bread. Or… eat straight from the foil packet.

 
What was I eating one year ago?
Roasted Veggie Pizza (definitely too hot to roast right now!)
SHARE:
© Loves Food, Loves to Eat. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig