Monday, April 30, 2012

Quinoa Cookies with Coconut & Chocolate




Evan's birthday was last week, and I just realized that he didn't get a birthday cake. We went out to a fancy steak dinner on his actual birthday, and then had a night out on the the town the following night (complete with pinball, Street Fighter, a creepy warehouse, and a Seattle street dog). But, after all that, still no birthday cake. What kind of food blogging girlfriend am I!? 


In my defense, I'm convinced that Evan hates cake (trust me, he does), so it might have been my unconscious knowledge of his cake hatery that led to the lack of cake. Regardless, I love cake… so it's amazing and sad that I let a cake opportunity pass in such a way. And he's a twin, so I could have made two cakes. Twin birthday cakes would have been adorbs. What was I thinking…I even baked over the weekend! (Also, how many times did I just write cakes!?)



I suppose a late cake will have to be better than no cake. But in the meantime…quinoa cookies! You're getting older, Evan… time to start eating healthy! Or… at least pretending it's good for you, because it has quinoa in it! Chocolate chip cookies with quinoa are totally health food, right? Right?!? That's what I told myself, when I ate 7 of these yesterday. I was powering up, duh. I'm on the downhill slope to 30 myself, I need to supplement my cookie habit with a bit of nutrients now and then!


Quinoa Cookies with Coconut & Chocolate Chunks
Adapted from this recipe
The quinoa adds an awesomely nutty, chewy crunch and {healthy} boost of texture to your average cookie. I couldn't get over that chewy crunch! Be sure to plan ahead, the quinoa needs to be cooked and cooled before mixing up the dough. Also, buy yourself a bag of desiccated coconut, it's totally worth it. I use it in everything. 

1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
1/2 cup desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
1 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips

Preheat oven to 375° & Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. 
Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In stand or electric mixer, cream butter, sugars, and honey until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, and almond extract, and mix until pale and fluffy, about 2 more minutes. Mix in flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time. Stir in quinoa, coconut, and chocolate. 

Plop spoon size balls of dough onto sheets an inch or so apart, and bake until golden, 12–15 minutes. Cool on wire rack. 
 
Update: I'm getting a lot of feedback that people assumed these cookies were gluten free. This is NOT a gluten free recipe, the quinoa is simply a delicious addition to a non-gf cookie, not a substitution. However, you could easily substitute gf flours for the whole wheat flour. If you do, please let me know how it turns out! One reader swapped the flour for GF all purpose flour and added 1.5 teaspoons xanthan gum, with great results.  

Update #2: I WON the best quinoa recipe contest at Food52 with these cookies! Go check it out!!



32 comments:

  1. These look delicious - and of course I do LOVE quinoa! I'm gluten-free and will definitely be trying to make these sans gluten. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made this recipe with brown rice flour to make them gluten free and they turned out amazing!

      Delete
  2. Queen of Quinoa, let me know what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are making these in my pre-k classroom today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Gina, how fun! can't wait to hear how that turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohh...I want to try these! Question: do you add the coconut without moistening it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi beejay, I didn't moisten the coconut, and they turned out great. If you do want it to add a little moisture tho, you could just try shredded, instead of desiccated coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not gluten free if you are using whole weat flour, so for my gluten free friends out there be sure to substitute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comment, Anonymous. It seems that via pinterest these are getting a lot of attention on gluten free boards, but they are absolutely not gluten free, nor do I bill them as such. Please do make substitutions, would love to hear how it turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea of Quinoa in cookies! What could I use instead of coconut? I want to make them for my husbands students but one of them is allergic to coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These turned out wonderful! I've had a bag of dark chocolate chips sitting in the cupboard for a while now and this was the perfect recipe for them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really looking forward to trying these! I love quinoa and am always looking for new uses! And who doesn't love cookies?!? This may be a silly question, but making sure: 1 cup of cooked quinoa - is that measure based on pre-cooked 1 cup or after it is cooked 1 cup? Thanks! And please forgive my ignorance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Anonymous(1)- If you leave out the coconut, but still want some of the texture it adds, you could do finely chopped nuts (like almonds).

    @Allison - glad you liked them!!

    @Anonymous(2) - The measure is based on 1 cup after it's cooked. I recently learned this little recipe writing/reading tid bit (useful for a lot of ingredients): If a recipe says "1 cup quinoa, cooked" that means you measure 1 dry cup. If it says "1 cup cooked quinoa" that means the measurement is after cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the tip about 1 cup quinoa, cooked vs 1 cup cooked quinoa!

      Delete
  13. Awesome cookie! Made them tonight with a friend! She calculated aprx. 113 calories per cookie (we had 31 cookies from the batch). The entire batch was around 3500 calories - had to use sweetened coconut (couldn't find desiccated) and had milk choc chips. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lauretano, sweet! Thanks for figuring out the cal count! Nice work! Glad you enjoyed the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Has anyone tried making them vegan w/o eggs or used something in place of the eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just made these and think they're great! I only altered it by using sprouted whole wheat flous with 2T of ground flax. Surprisingly, my 10 k 12 yo boys liked them too! Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the sprouted wheat flour and flax were great additions! Glad you liked them!

      Delete
  17. I also substituted the butter for 1/4 cup chopped avocado. Delish! Good for a vegan substitute too. :) Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! Awesome tip, will have to try that sometime! Glad you like them!

      Delete
  18. I just made these and they are so, so, SO good. I found they needed a bit less baking time (but maybe my oven runs hot). Followed the recipe and it was great. Will certainly make these often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! Love hearing that people are enjoying my recipes!

      Re: the baking time, perhaps my oven runs cooler than most? I'll have to test that out :)

      Delete
    2. Yep! Less baking time for sure. I did the second batch for 12 minutes and they still seem overcooked.

      Delete
  19. I made these and posted about them here:
    http://recipeshappen.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/quinoa-cookies/

    Thanks for sharing an excellent recipe!
    I used mini chocolate chips and extra vanilla since I didn't have almond extract.

    I also found the baking time a bit long, I baked mine 10 minutes tops. I checked my oven thermometer, too, and made sure it wasn't over 375 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your post, thanks for sharing it... it's fun to see other people making my recipes! Re: the baking time, since two of you have mentioned this, perhaps my oven runs cooler than most? I'll have to test that out :)

      Delete
  20. Replies
    1. Sorry, you'll have to go the old fashioned route and use the pin-bookmarklet tool via Pinterest. Or, if you visit my pinterest page (see icon at top right) my "I Cooked This" board has pins of my recipes, you can re-pin from there. Hopefully I'll figure out that pin button sometime soon, but amidst a full time job and trying to get new, delicious posts out the door, this one has been put on the backburner. Thanks for the reminder though!! And thanks for wanting to pin my stuff, I appreciate it!!

      Delete
  21. They taste a little salty to me....(but I don't salt anything, so pretty much anything with salt has that taste.) I didn't use unsalted butter (all I had was sweet cream butter) so I think next time I'll cut back on the salt.

    Anyone try using oat flour instead of whole wheat?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I tried these with coconut oil instead of butter and craisins instead of coconut. They are delicious... almost taste like a muffin. Definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you use the same amount of coconut oil as the recipe called for butter?

      Delete
  23. I tried with coconut and almond flour and it really didnt stick very well. Anyone have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete