Tuesday, September 18, 2012

End of Summer Zucchini Bread

Summer is nearing its end. That means a few things—we're starting to dig out our slow cookers, bake, and shop for Halloween costumes, kids have gone back to school, the days have gotten shorter and, for some, cooler. For those of you with gardens, the end of summer also means a boat-load of produce that finally got enough sun to start growing…and then went wild and crazy. 



I can't tell you how many people have said to me "I have carrots coming out my ears," or "I have so many tomatoes they're going bad before I can eat them," or "do you like cucumbers, because I need to either pickle them all or give them away I have so many," or "I have a zucchini as big as your leg." Ok, so maybe I can tell you how many people have said these things: two. My coworker Hilary (who has now offered me carrots and cucumbers, yes!), and my mom. 



Mel was in town recently, and brought Amanda and I each a giant box of the best tomatoes ever. Sorry, I was too busy shoving them in my mouth at a rate of six+ per day to get pictures. But trust me, these were the most insanely red, meaty, flavorful tomatoes ever. I made panzanella salad three times in one week. And then I ate it too fast to take pictures. Stay tuned… I'll try to get some panzanella magic on the blog soon. 




In addition to the crazy-good toms, a ton of peppers, 10 kinds of garlic, green beans, and a random half of a smoked turkey, Mel gave me a zucchini the size of my leg. Seriously. There's only one thing you can do with a zucchini the size of your leg (other than play baseball with it).... and that's bake it up into zucchini bread. I don't know what you were thinking that one thing was going to be (get your minds outta the gutter!) but it's delicious, delicious zucchini bread. Preferably with coconut, apples, and chocolate chips. Home run.

Chocolate Chip Coconut Zucchini Bread 
Makes 2 loaves

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup coconut oil 
2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla 
2 cups grated zucchini (not drained)
1 green apple, diced
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup shredded coconut
Preheat oven to 325, and grease and flour two loaf pans.

In a medium bowl, sift or whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. 

In a separate larger bowl, beat eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, and sugar until smooth and creamy-like. Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture, and mix until well combined. Stir in zucchini, apple, chocolate chips, and coconut. Pour into pans.

Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan.
SHARE:
© Loves Food, Loves to Eat. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig