Friday, February 8, 2013

Soba Salmon Noodle Bowls


Before we talk about that delicious amazing soba salmon bowl, let's talk about… books! As much as I love TV, I also loooove reading. I just finished Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese. I love him. So much detail. I kept having to set the book down to do wikipedia research. I love that. 



I read his first book, My Own Country, three times in college. It took me a few chapters to get into Cutting for Stone, but I generally have two, and sometimes even three books going at once, so I was fine. My Kindle bill is through the roof, and my bookshelf is taking over Evan's office (i.e. our spare room that's also Biscuit's room). What should I read next? I'm eyeing Beautiful Ruins, by Jess Walters. I love the cover! I totally judge books by their covers. Actual books, not people.




Ok, sorry. Now we can talk about that soup. Guys, I've made this soba noodle bowl like six times since November. It's so good! I first had something like it at Tom Douglas' Seatown restaurant, and immediately ran home to make it. Ok, not immediately, because I was really full. But, you know. 



Even though there are a few different steps, like making the broth, broiling the salmon, boiling the noodles, sautéing the mushrooms, and boiling the eggs (sheesh!) it comes together pretty quick. And tastes really good, light, and simple. Just make it already! 



Salmon Soba Noodle Bowl
Serves 2 people

Broth
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 mushrooms, diced super small (I used shiitake)
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
2 cups broth
2.5 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 Tablespoon rice vinegar

In a pot, heat oil over medium, and add mushroom. Cook for 5 or so minutes, until browned and sautéed (don't burn), and add garlic and ginger. Cook for a minute or so, and add broth, soy sauce, and vinegar. Bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer while you prepare everything else. 

Salmon (adapted from this recipe)
1 green onion, minced
1 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
black pepper
2 six oz. salmon fillets, skinned
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Whisk green onion, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, ginger, and black pepper together. Put salmon in a ziplock bag, and add sauce. let marinate for 15 minutes (in the fridge). Preheat broiler. Line a baking pan with foil and coat with cooking spray, and add salmon, skinned-side down. Broil the salmon 4 to 6 inches from the heat until cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes. Add sesame seeds for last minute of cooking. 
Noodle Bowl Assembly
1 baby bok choy, white part thinly slice, green leafy part set aside
1 cup sliced mushrooms (I used shiitake)
3-4 ounces dried soba noodles
2 hardboiled eggs, halved
sliced green onion
Sriracha, to taste

Boil soba noodles according to package directions. Lightly sauté the sliced white parts of the bok choy with the mushrooms. In shallow bowls, add noodles, then add eggs, mushrooms and bok choy, and bok choy greens. Pour hot broth over noodles, and top with green onions. Add sriracha, to taste. 


SHARE:
© Loves Food, Loves to Eat. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig