Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Warm Lentil Salad with Butter-Crumbed Eggs | #SpringPantryPurge

Warm Lentil Salad with Butter-Crumbed Eggs | #SpringPantryPurge
I have a tendency to hoard but a desire to live minimally.

I have a nostalgia for things, which I come by naturally. My dad was a first generation child of immigrants, growing up in a family who had left everything behind. I think that probably makes you hang onto things a little tighter. When my parents were young and child-free, they travelled around the American southwest, living in a tiny travel-trailer in small towns along the way. That forces you to live minimally. Then when I was born, they settled on a 5 acre property, with lots of room for stuff. When I was growing up, we didn’t have a ton of money, which I also think makes people hang onto things. And we never moved. My entire childhood. So we just kept saving stuff and filling up our space. And overtime, we grew very attached and sentimental about our things. My mom still has all of my childhood toys. So, getting rid of things is hard for me. But I feel so much better in a clutter free environment. I truly feel like clearing the clutter in my house helps clear the clutter in my mind. So, I’m trying.

Warm Lentil Salad with Butter-Crumbed Eggs | #SpringPantryPurge

I’m in major spring cleaning mode, and like everyone and their mother and sister (and my mother and sister), I’ve started using the KonMari method to help me get rid of things. A few months ago I did a huge closet purge, only keeping items that sparked joy. OMG it was HARD. I definitely need to do another full closet purge. For me it’s a process… I get a little more ruthless each time. Having cut-throat friends or family members join the purge helps. 

Evan and I also cleaned out our garage, and our pantry and food cupboards. So, Phoebe’s invitation to participate in a virtual blogger #SpringPantryPurge couldn’t have come at a better time. When I got her email, I had just unearthed, from the depths of my cupboards, a bag and two jars of lentils as well as three unopened packages of panko. If, like me, you hoard lentils and breadcrumbs, this is a perfect spring cleaning pantry purge recipe. It uses up some dried goods in your pantry, but it’s light, fresh, and springy, while still being warm and comforting—perfect for ushering in the new season.

Warm Lentil Salad with Butter-Crumbed Eggs | #SpringPantryPurge The eggs are based on the butter-crumbed eggs from Prune, the restaurant and cookbook. Evan and I had brunch at Prune the first time went to NYC four years ago (after I had read Gabrielle Hamilton’s memoir), and I still think that dish—stewed chickpeas with butter-crumbed eggs and flatbread with olive butter—was the best brunch dish I’ve ever had. I bought Prune, the cookbook, the moment it came out, and lucky for me, that dish is there!

Warm Lentil Salad with Butter-Crumbed Eggs | #SpringPantryPurge In my dish, warm lentils, bacon, and briny cured olives get tossed with a mustardy vinaigrette, spooned over fresh greens, and topped with crispy, buttery, breadcrumb coated, runny-yolked eggs. So long lentil stash, hello lunch! 

Warm Lentil Salad with Butter Crumbed Eggs
Serves 2-4

Salad
1 cup small green lentils
2.5 cups water
½ teaspoon salt
¼ pound bacon, diced or cut into lardons
Arugula
¼ cup cured black olives, pitted and roughly chopped
Mustard vinaigrette (below)
Butter crumbed eggs (below)

First, make the lentils. Add lentils, water, and salt to a pot, and bring to a boil. Cover, then reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, until lentils are tender, but not mush. Drain any excess water. Taste, and add a bit more salt if needed.

Cook the bacon, and drain on a paper towel.

To assemble, add a pile of lentils to plate, top with arugula, bacon, olives, dressing, and 1-2 butter crumbed eggs. 

Dressing
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons grainy brown mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely diced shallot
Salt & fresh cracked black pepper

Whisk ingredients together

Butter crumbed eggs
6 eggs (4 for poaching, 2 for the breading)
1 cup panko
Salt & pepper
4 tablespoons butter

Poach 4 of the eggs until whites are set and solid, and yolk is still runny. Using a slotted spoon, gently place each egg into an ice bath to stop cooking, then move to a paper towel to dry. Let eggs dry completely (patting gently if necessary, being careful to not break yolks).

Beat the 2 remaining eggs in a dish, and in a separate dish, add panko with a pinch of salt and pepper. Gently coat each poached egg in beaten eggs, then in panko until totally coated. Set aside.

Heat butter in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium high. Fry each coated egg in butter, a minute or two on each side, until nicely browned and crunchy. Top with a little bit of flaked sea salt.


***

Wait, there’s more! Check out the other #SpringPantryPurge recipes, and visit Phoebe’s site, Feed me Phoebe, to learn about donating to Feed America!

Feast + West | Honey Chipotle Roasted Chickpeas
Clean Food Dirty City | Lentil Rice Bowl with Shaved Cauliflower Salad
Crepes of Wrath | Garlic Noodles
Appeasing a Food Geek | Wine Wednesday + a Kale and Tomato Galette
Feed Me Phoebe | Maple Pecan Gluten-Free Banana Bread
Domesticate ME! | Chicken and Wheat Berry Salad with Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Arugul
Arthur Street Kitchen | Kale Kimchi
Pamela Salzman | Drunken Beans
The Mom 100 | Banana Bread with Chocolate and Crystallized Ginger
Snixy Kitchen | Kale Salad with Toasted Nuts, Seeds, & Buckwheat
The Speckled Palate | Curried Veggie Rice Bowls
The Naptime Chef | Basil Polenta with Pine Nuts and Feta
SHARE:
© Loves Food, Loves to Eat. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig